||Dr Ruth KATTUMURI|
Co-Director, India Observatory
Tel: +44 (0)20 7107 5217
Dr Ruth Kattumuri is Co-Director of the India Observatory.
Dr Kattumuri is responsible for developing multi-disciplinary research and programmes of the India Observatory. With over two decades of experience in higher education in UK and India, Ruth has pioneered several innovative knowledge development programmes. Her research interests are in population and development issues including growth and inclusion; and climate change policy.
Current Research Projects:
- Sustainable growth and inclusion
- Climate change policy
- Social protection
- Population and development
- Public policy
- Bhanumurthy, N.R. and Kattumuri, R. (2017). Fiscal implications of food security in India: A critical review.
In: De, S. (ed.) India's Fiscal Policy:
Prescriptions, Pragmatics and Practice. Cambridge University Press.
- Kattumuri, R. (2017). Love's Labour's Gained? In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Development Economics Volume I. Post-Graduate & Research Department of Economics, Ethiraj College for Women (Autonomous), Tamil Nadu, India. ISBN 9781635351736
- Kattumuri, R. (2016) Evidence and the policy process from an Indian perspective.
In: Hantrais, L., Lenihan, A.T. and MacGregor,S. (eds.) International and Interdisciplinary Insights into Evidence and Policy. Routledge.
- Yu, X. and Kattumuri, R. (2016). "Dragon and Elephant, Shoulder to Shoulder": Non-traditional Security Cooperation between China and India.
Journal of International Security Studies, 3. Beijing, China.
- Bhattacharya, R., Kattumuri, R., Sinha, D. and Tiwari, D. (2016). Public services, social relations, politics and gender: Tales from a North Indian village.
In: Himanshu, Jha, P. and Rodgers, G. (eds.) The Changing village in India: Insights from Longitudinal Research. Oxford University Press.
- Kattumuri, R. and Singh, M. (2015). Historical Developments and Goals of Social Protection Policies in India (in Chinese).
Social Security Studies, 2: 24-38.
- Kattumuri, R. (2015). Evidence and the policy process from an Indian perspective.
Contemporary Social Science Special Issue, 10(2): 191-201. Taylor & Francis Group. Oxford, UK.
- Kattumuri, R., Ravindranath, D. and Esteves, T. (2015). Local adaptation strategies in semi-arid regions: Study of two villages in Karnataka, India.
Climate and Development. Taylor & Francis Group. Oxford, UK.
- Chaturvedi, R., Kattumuri, R. and Ravindranath, D. (2014). Mainstreaming adaptation to climate change in Indian policy planning.
International Journal of Applied Economics and Econometrics, 22(1): 23-56.
- Kattumuri, R. and Ravindranath, D. (2014). Sustainable growth and climate change: Evolution of India's strategies.
In: Bowen, A., Whalley, J. and Stern, N. (eds.) The Global Development of Policy Regimes to Combat Climate Change. World Scientific.
- Hiremath, R.B., Kattumuri, R., Kumar, B. and Hiremath, G.R. (2014). Health and safety aspects of textile workers from Solapur (India) textile industries.
Indian Journal of Community Health, 26(4): 364-369.
- Nair, M., Ravindranath, N.H., Sharma, N., Kattumuri, R. and Munshi, M. (2013). Poverty index as a tool for adaptation intervention to climate change in northeast India.
Climate and Development, 5(1): 14-32.
- Das, A., Das, S. and Kattumuri, R. (2013). Inclusive Education: A Contextual Working Model.
- Kattumuri R., Chanana, D. and Cantegreil, M. (eds.) (2013). Revealing Indian Philanthropy.
Alliance Publishing Trust.
- Bowen, A. and Kattumuri, R. (2013). Transition Lessons: Going green as a development strategy.
In: Low-Carbon Green Growth in Asia: Policies and practices. 121-170. A joint study of the Asian Development Bank, Philippines and the Asian Development Bank Institute, Japan.
- Kattumuri, R. and Singh, M. (2013). Historical Developments and Goals of Social Protection Policies in India.
In: Midgley, J. and Piachaud, D. (eds.) Social Protection, Economic Growth and Social Change: Goals, Issues and Trajectories in Brazil, China, India and South Africa. Edward Elgar.
- Stern, N., Kattumuri, R. and Rydge, J. (2012). Low-carbon Growth and Development.
In: Basu, K. and Maertens, A. (eds.) The New Oxford Companion to Economics in India. Oxford University Press.
- Hiremath, R.B., Kattumuri, R., Khatri, V.N., Kumar, B. and Patil, S.S. (2012). An integrated networking approach for a sustainable textile sector in Solapur, India.
Urbani izziv, 23(2).
- Kattumuri, R. and Holm, A.K. (2011). Reconciliation and Transitional Justice: The contribution of forgiveness towards healing and restoration.
In: Global Civil Society 2011: Globality and the absence of justice. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kattumuri, R. (2011). Higher Education in India: The legacy of colonialism.
In: Midgley, J. and Piachaud, D. (eds.) Colonialism and Welfare: Social policy and the British imperial legacy. Edward Elgar.
- Tiwari, R., Somashekhar, H.I., Ramakrishna Parama, V.R., Murthy, I.K., Mohan Kumar, M.S., Mohan Kumar, B.K., Parate, H., Varma, M., Malaviya, S., Rao, A.S., Sengupta, A., Kattumuri, R. and Ravindranath, N.H. (2011). MGNREGA for Environmental Service Enhancement and Vulnerability Reduction: Rapid Appraisal in Chitradurga District, Karnataka.
Economic & Political Weekly, 46(20): 39-47.
- Kattumuri, R. (2011). Food Security and the Targeted Public Distribution System in India.
LSE Asia Research Centre Working Paper 38. This paper is posted on the India Governance Knowledge Centre Library website.
- Kattumuri, R. and Tiwari, D.K. (2011). Developments in education in Palanpur, a village in Uttar Pradesh.
LSE Asia Research Centre Working Paper 49.
- Das, A. and Kattumuri, R. (2010). Children with Disabilities in Private Inclusive Schools in Mumbai: Experiences and Challenges.
LSE Asia Research Centre Working Paper 34.
- Stern, N., Kattumuri, R. and Nilekani, N. (2010). A Global Deal on Climate Change: A possible role for India.
In: Acharya, S. and Mohan, R. (eds.) India’s Economy: Performances and Challenges. Oxford University Press.
- Cui, S. and Kattumuri, R. (2010). Cultivated Land Conversion in China and the Potential for Food Security and Sustainability.
LSE Asia Research Centre Working Paper 35.
- Kattumuri, R. (2003). One and a half decades of HIV/AIDS In Tamil Nadu: How much do patients know now?
International Journal of STD & AIDS, 14(8): 552-559.
- Vijayathilakan J.P. and Kattumuri, R. (1992). Socio-economic study of sandalwood, rosewood and red sanders in four southern states in India.Crafts Council of India, Chennai, India.